There are numerous ways to go about building an online presence for your small business, but I’ll just list some of the basics:
1. Starting a website
– Your website should at least be pleasing to the eye and easy to navigate
– Ensure it’s search engine optimized to rank higher on search engines and also mobile-responsive as a huge percentage of web traffic nowadays occurs on mobile
Google Analytics & Adwords, Facebook ads (These tools are commonly used by many businesses and are very easy to use. Google Analytics allows you to track your website traffic and its various sources, Google Adwords allows you to find out exactly what keywords your target audience is searching for, Google Adwords + Facebook Ads allow you to create target ads on their respective platforms)
2. Getting on social media
– At least a Facebook Page
– Ensure your profile is complete and explains clearly what your business does
– Your social media profiles and your website should be consistent in your messaging
– Regularly post updates that speak to your target audience. Use images and videos to make your posts more interesting/compelling.
– Be sure to engage and communicate with your customers as frequently as possible (responding to both positive and negative feedback, answering customer queries, etc.)
3. Community engagement
– Find online communities where your target audience currently exists and engage with them
– Contribute to these communities by providing insightful opinions and valuable content
– Build relationships with the community.
You don’t have to do anything fancy, like launching a huge marketing campaign.
Always keep it within your means.
The key is to start developing an online presence as soon as possible. There are tons of online marketing resources on the web that you can refer to to further your marketing campaigns.